Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Song in my Heart

And now back to the story.

My second date with Craig.  The all important second date.

Hot mess that I was getting ready, I had evidently chosen the perfect outfit (he'd commented right away) and right out of the gate things went beautifully.

He's an attentive date. We have enormous amounts of things to talk about. He listens. He remembers. He's interesting. I find myself listening attentively and asking questions.

He goes out to bars like my friends and I go out to bars. He's engaging. We collect friends along the way.  He doesn't mind if I chat people up and he does his best to widen our social circle too. All that is missing is Joy getting everyone's full names, telephone numbers and Facebook handles.

It is such a refreshing change.  Lars was never one to be open to other people. He had friends, who needs more? J. would have been a nut watching people come and go from our company. He's have convinced himself that everyone was a predator and plotting to steal me from him. Every man, woman and child a thief in the night. He'd have worked up a hairy eyeball for each of them. Frosted anyone who dared strike up a conversation. Listened attentively but suspiciously to every word. Would have read between the lines and suspected some covert nefarious agenda.  He'd have been pissed that I didn't chase everyone away immediately. My friendliness a sure indication that I was about to take flight. Run off with another man. Leave him standing there with a giant L scrawled on his forehead with my lipstick. 

It is an ideal date. We laugh. We hold hands. We flirt. We play darts.  We compete with other people.  We dance. A musician works my name into a song and we dance some more. We get scolded by some old hag for sitting so close to talk that we appear to be kissing. Too bad, you old bag. You wish you were me.

And I am thrilled to be me.

It has been just a few short months since my world went up in smoke and I can not believe how my heart is singing. And singing a song I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment