Friday, March 8, 2013

The Pre-Game Show

But it's important to me that we've done this little dance. I've taken a position, which is more meaningful that having taken no position at all. Like Switzerland.

And it's important to have done this before my second date with Craig.  I don't know what he's thinking exactly - but I can't imagine that any man wants to throw his heart into the ring if there is the slightest possibility that the ghost of a past serious relationship will come roaring back to life. Any man would question the power of that gravitational pull. And I want to be able to say with absolute certainty and honesty that there is no threat of that happening.  Even if he's not threatened at all. Why chance it. Take it right off the table before it rears its ugly little head.

And even though it may seem odd to invest even one second of any date talking about any Ghost of Love Lives Past, it isn't odd in the case with Craig. Because it was Scott's vanishing act that brought so many of my oldest and dearest and even some newer friends to my side. And Craig was among them. I was so lucky to have so many people give the slightest damn about my bad breakup. SO that door closing has led to this window opening. So it is not an out-of-bounds conversational topic. However unorthodox that may seem.

And the week plods on --- I a planning what I will wear. What to wear if we do this. What to wear if we decide to do that instead. Trying it all on for fabulousness. Outfit. Foundations. Shoes. Jewelry. Perfume. I love this part.

And Craig is a perfect date in the days that lead to the actual date. Attentive. Charming. Flirtatious. All good stuff. I am so looking forward to seeing him that I have convinced myself that something is going to come along and piss all over it. Prevent us from seeing each other. Blizzard. Nuclear Holocaust. Alien invasion.

But the day finally comes and I am on pins and needles. First dates are important (just ask Casey). Second dates are crucial. The second date determines whether there is a third date, and the third date is the tipping point as relationships go.

It needs to be perfect. I am giddy. I am nervous. I am fabulous. I am a hot mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment