Monday, December 19, 2011

From Bad to Worse

Before I hit the send key, I take the time to visit the district website and obtain the names and email addresses for the other Assistant Superintendent, the Superintendent and all of the members of the school board. If someone is going to be called out for being uncooperative, unresponsive, ineffective and a lousy liar, it is going to be a public stoning.

Then I hit the send key.

A day later, I get a reply from the Superintendent himself, and he copies all of the same folks and a few more (so in case they didn't read the email from the citizen they'd get it in the note from the Big Boss, and can't avoid the fun.)

He writes:

Based on your note and from my conversation with Dr. Rotelli and Dr. Barnett(presumably Green Suit, I am not sure she ever mentioned her name) I am responding to your request for our current policy (248; May 10, 2007) that prohibits all forms of harassment and bullying of students. You are correct that we may have provided you with a prior version which has been superseded by the attached. However, be assured that our practices and guidelines for investigation and intervention are grounded in our current policy and State School Code, in particular the Safe Schools Provisions. Our Central Staff, Board and Solicitor reviewed and adopted this policy in May, 2007.

Again, our policy and practice with respect to bullying are clearly understood and diligently enforced at all levels. It is an issue that we are focused on throughout our schools.


Then he thanks me warmly for my interest on all of their behalves.

I open the policy. It too is none of the things they've described. How could it be? It predates any of the current issues. And why is everyone so comfortable with the "whoops my mistake" approach to pissing me off like this?

A day later, Charlotte texts me. She heard something on the radio about an open house at a school unveiling its super duper brand spanking new comprehensive policy and program to eradicate Bullying from its campus. Then she bounded from bed to log onto her computer and send me a link.

I open the link and view the video - news coverage that updates us all on the fate of a student who had been bullied last year - brutalized by a bunch of thugs and then hung on a fence, all while bystanders used their cell phones, not to call the police, but to video the attack and post it on YouTube. It went viral. That kid now attends this school. But the best part about the story was that this kid, who seems to be a remarkable young man in many respects, was asked to deliver an address at a national summit on Bullying that was taking place in Washington, DC that weekend.

I look into the summit. A topic of national focus getting some much needed attention and raising public awareness right down the street in the seat of our Nation's Capitol. Fabulous.

I decide to poke the bear again. Take to AOL and attach the link.

I write:

Is anyone attending the event in Washington this weekend representing our district on an issue of national focus?

Or have we convinced ourselves that our policy dated May 10, 2007 is up-to-date and current enough to adequately address this highly complex issue?

The teen from the neighboring district who was brutalized last year and now travels two hours to attend school privately, but without fear of being terrorized, is delivering an address.

What are we doing? I'd like to know.


I don't thank them warmly. And have yet to receive a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment