Monday, July 1, 2013

Moscow Rules

But now I have to concentrate on work. I have a meeting to prepare for and a strategy to execute. And I have to be nimble. I have to stay calm (I've mentioned that this is not a natural state...) and I have to be cool. Can't let anyone see me sweat. And no flinching allowed. Practice practice practice.

When Don and I finally meet, I present him with a work plan.  It is thorough, it is detailed. It is brilliant. He is impressed.

And when we've gone through all the details, he asks a few questions and then says we'll meet as the work progresses and talk about the next 30-60-90 day plan.

I tell him I don't think there will be one.

He looks at me blankly. 

I tell him that this is an exit strategy.  And ask him to listen.

I tell him that I am not at all comfortable with the changes I've seen and what I envision. I tell him that I understand that my position will be eliminated eventually, but in knowing that, I have reached my own conclusions about what is happening as opposed to how it is being couched for the general audience. He leans back and nods.  

I tell him I don't want to stay and wait for the other shoe to drop when someone else decides it's time to drop it.

I would rather choreograph a graceful exit and control how it is blabbed about. Because it will be blabbed about. That we can count on.

He nods again.

I tell him that I think I can tolerate 12 weeks of work without misbehaving (hence that 12 week work plan) and he describes a creative severance package he thinks he can get for me (while he is still in charge - which I don't envision is for long).  I thank him and look at him directly so that he understands that I am serious. I tell him that I will be fair and decent with him so long as he remains fair and decent with me. (This is more a question than a statement).

We shake on hands.  I think we know exactly what each of us knows and what each of us has said, without saying it out loud.

I have assessed the situation correctly. I know more than I should. I am smart not to believe everything I have heard. He is almost envious.

I return to my desk and think about what to say to my team. And all I can see on my bulletin board are the Moscow Rules I have posted on a little piece of paper a former boss had given to me long ago.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Rules).

 How true they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment