Monday, July 15, 2013

Buying Signs

So back to Craig. I can't exactly pinpoint what you'd call our relationship. Perhaps if we'd gone through this little interview formality there would be fewer questions.

But like the job interview process, in the absence of the words, "We'd like to make you an offer" you are compelled to make some educated guesses about the things you have observed.

So like any interested hiring manager at any company, he's done some key things that I can take as good indicators.

He stays in touch. Calls or texts. The context of which are very sweet.  Flirtatious. Inquisitive. Supportive. Demonstrate interest. Just like a good recruiter who keeps a candidate warm while all the background activity churns out of one's view (except for the flirting, which would just be creepy).

He keeps asking for dates. And we have fun! And while no one would ever call an interview fun (unless they've been recently sprung from the booby hatch) getting a second or a third interview is always good news. And certainly better than not being invited back.

He says and does all the right things. Tells me I'm beautiful. Is exceptionally generous. Holds my hand. Surprises me with kisses. Holds up his end of the conversation. Laughs at my stories. That isn't to say that all of these things should happen during anyone's interview process - and if they do, you should excuse yourself  for the ladies room and alert the authorities that there is a predatory sexual harasser on the premises who needs to be immobilized and have his twigs and berries cryogenically frozen at once as a matter of public safety. But a good interviewer will perpetuate the conversation and woo a strong candidate that they think they may want to hire. It is the point where the interviewed becomes the interviewer. They playing field shifts to just about level.

And he's interested in meeting my friends. Just like an interviewer who knows good people know other good people, he wants to know the pack you run with. It's like a reference or a referral.  The fact that your best friend is funny, and smart and spontaneous like you seem to be says good things about you. Similarly, if your former colleagues have all gone to Federal Prison for fraud, that waves a caution flag for an employer. You may have just had a better lawyer and managed to avoid the same fate.

So while I am not ready to stop sending out resumes just yet, I think I have a pretty decent thing going, even if it hasn't led to anything formal yet. I could still be the sun in his sky, he just hasn't said so out loud.

Or so I tell myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment