Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Here We Go Again

I write to Mrs. Nilan and to Dr. McDuff, the worlds biggest idiot school administrator, but the next one on the food chain.

Good morning-

Now that I am no longer in traffic and can process our conversation, I need to be clear about something.

This incident needs to be made a disciplinary matter and a matter of record. I have consulted a professional about the details of the incident and has encouraged me to take it to the police, and is prepared to get involved on Hil's behalf. She has described it as "reportable."  Do you have any idea what that means?

I need to be assured that your reaction will be swift and decisive, regardless of how "easy" Esther is to work with. If this were a boy who did this to these young girls, I am sure you'd be taking a firmer position. Your responsibility is to take a firm position of zero tolerance. I don't care to "wait and see" how Esther responds to the discussion you intend to have.

Please advise as to your plan of action before the weekend commences, as I will file a report with the police over the weekend in the absence of decisive action on your part to protect my child. That is your job while she is at school.
The whole freaking day practically goes by. By the time McDuff emails me back, it is clear that he is caught off guard.  He writes me a short note saying that "his counselor' (His counselor? Wow. Ownership. How quaint.) has already started an investigation and evidently I am not happy with it. (Really? What was your first clue, Einstein?) He will follow up at once. (Sure, with the same sense of urgency that you responded to this email?)

By now, I am at some moronic community event for work that I have absolutely no genuine interest in attending. I simply reply, in a veiled reference to the prior bullying investigation that he botched, "Thank you. I don't think this should be taken lightly and will see that it is not."
He writes, "Yes, after I review statements and conduct further investigation I assure you that it won't be taken lightly. You will be informed of the progress and/or conclusion of this investigation."
It takes me a minute to reply.

"In the absence of a convincing demonstration that my child is safe, I hesitate to send her to school. I will file a police report this evening unless I am informed of an appropriate plan of action.

There are 4 children involved; the perpetrator, and three known victims. I should think your investigation should be concluded with the 4 conversations. I do not want to hear the excuse that you can't do anything because there are no witnesses. My child did not want to stay in school today after being informed that the perpetrator will only "be spoken to." Speaking to the aggressor provides no sense of safety for my child and I am not willing to place her at risk again.

I am seeking guidance concerning which other authorities should be informed of the matter formally."
Later that day, he calls me and leaves a message about what he intends to do with this investigation. He leaves no message. He wants to chat.

I'll bet he does.




No comments:

Post a Comment