Wednesday, May 30, 2012

And Your Little Job Too

A few days later, I get a call. The pediatrician has called ChildLine to see what if any issue needs to be reported. They don't let her off the phone without a complete report. They are going to file with Child Protection.  The D.A. will have the report on his desk in a matter of days.

Hil and I must simply go to the police. So we do.

The policeman is a young handsome man who at first is skeptical about the whole thing. But he and I listen as Hil painfully recounts the entire episode with Esther and then the other two girls.  I am cringing all the while. The officer is rapt. We have his attention now.  He talks to a superior. The Adolescent Detective Unit is assigned the case and it is issued a number. How official. 

Hil and I leave and go get lattes and hot chocolate for the road. She and Pat and I are headed to Scott's for the weekend.

But before we leave I ask Hil to compose the report to the school.  She has just very succinctly recounted it all for the officer, one more retelling and she can forget about it.

Monday, I scan the report bearing her little girl handwriting. Just seeing it makes me sad. And empowers me. I attach it to the email that I have composed the the School Board and other officials:

 Dear Sirs/Madam -

Attached please find a scanned copy of a true and original Student-to-Student Harassment/Bullying Complaint Document.

I am deeply disappointed in the school's response to my daughter having raised this issue. On Friday, April 27th, she complained to Mrs. Nilan of serious harassing behavior by Esther "X" toward her and two classmates.  I notified Mrs. Nilan e-mail on Thursday, April 26th after Hilary told me of the incident so that she could be prepared to handle the issue.

At first, Ms. Nilan was simply going "talk to Esther" about the incident and indicate how grossly inappropriate it was. I insisted that the complaint be taken more seriously. The behavior is not only harassment/bullying, the other factors in the situation suggest that Esther is likely a victim herself.

Follow up to ensure Hilary's sense of safety has been lacking. Esther has not complied with instruction to have no contact with Hilary and the teacher has not acted to ensure that she have no contact. 

Dr. McDuff, when pressured to do so, appeared to take the situation more seriously, and in an e-mail to me on May 1, 2012, indicated that the school had at first thought the situation to be minor and then realized that it is much more serious. Yet his statements to my child demonstrate that he intends to mislead me and actually treat the situation as a non-issue.

Since that time, I have learned that Dr. McDuff has pressured, attempted to coerce, and harassed my daughter about filing the attached complaint form. He has spoken to her in such a way that she feels:
  • That the school is protecting Esther X.
  • That she is in trouble for complaining
  • That she could be in more trouble if she makes a formal complaint
  • Dr. McDuff is angry with her mother and she is vulnerable to retaliation from Dr. McDuff
His implied position of authority is being abused in this instance.

I have spoken to the Township Police and have filed a report. I have provided the attached emails as a matter of record.

Child Protection has been notified officially of the offenses.

Because Dr. McDuff's poor understanding of the seriousness of this issue prevents him from competently handling this situation I have asked that he have no further contact with my children. Mrs. Reitano has confirmed agreement.
 
Further, Dr. McDuff's deplorable conduct is such that it rises to the level of harassment. I would like to know how I may go about filing a formal harassment complaint on my daughter's behalf with the School District.

The courtesy of a reply is expected. I prefer to correspond in writing.

And I hit the Send key again.

No comments:

Post a Comment