Monday, November 5, 2012

Wait'll You See My Gidget...

Gidget and I get to know each other over the weekend. She is a sweet little thing and the dogs love her.  I am growing hopeful about the homecoming with Trinket. She needs a friend to hand with while I am toiling away at work all day, right?

Not so fast.

On Sunday morning, I gather all the kitty gear, and my gear and my work gear and head for home feeling optimistic about the introduction. On the drive home, I plan what to do. Trinket always greets me when I come home like you'd expect to be greeted by a puppy.  She hears the car, and comes to the kitchen window. She perks up as I walk through the opening in the hedge and smile at her and wave. She leaps down from the counter and greets me at the back door. And then, as I walk in and up the steps, she leaps to the surface of the dining table to climb into my arms and purr, tucking her head into the hollow between my neck and shoulder.

Today is no different. I leave the Gidge in the car in the carrier as I bring my things in. I go through the hole routine with Trinket, which ends with the usual snuggles and a handful of treats.  After we've spent a few minutes together I bring in the carrier, which feels empty with only a half pound cat in it.  As I place it on the kitchen floor, still closed to prevent any abrupt, accidental confrontations.  Trinket walks calmly, curiously over to the crate.  No visible signs of distress.  I can see her nostrils flaring as she sniffs out the competition.

And that is where the cordiality ends.

Hissing. Growling. Pawing at the crate. Maniacal meowing and posturing to pounce.

I snatch the crate and scowl at Trinket who retreats to the basement. I go upstairs to the attic and get Gidget settled. Baby-proof the place. Set up the kitty litter.  Stock the fridge with fresh water and kitten supplement milk.  Put away the bag of kitten chow and cans of smelly wet food. I take care of everything -  as though I'd brought home a new baby.

What I forge to take care of is closing the attic door tightly behind me. As I turn to put Gidget down in her new little bed, I am confronted by Trinket who has crept up behind us. And she looks none too happy.

I hold Gidget securely and get down on one knee a few feet from Trinket.  I speak as sweetly and soothingly as I can.  "Look Trink...a friend for you.  A little bud..."

And just like that Trinket is howling like a jungle animal moving in for the kill. "Don't you dare!"  I screech, and she is racing for the steps.

As I place Gidget in her bed to go secure the door, I realize my heart is pounding and beads of sweat have formed on my forehead.  This is not going to be easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment