Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Cat That Ate the Canary, Or Worse

The next few days go much the same way.  I have Gidget confined to the penthouse suite and Trinket terrorizes her during every brief encounter.  It is madness. I've had to get very creative about carving out time to make each cat feel like the light of my life and frankly it is leaving my nerve endings in shreds.

When Gidget is out of view and beyond smelling range, Trinket is as lovable and sweet as ever. Curls up with me on the couch. Sleeps on my bed with me. Greets me like a puppy.

One morning, I reach down for her as she slept by my side and she climbs up to nose around near my face, purring the whole time. I reach out to pet her and she climbs onto my night table.  And very quickly she jumps down. As if she is in hot pursuit of something.

For a moment, I wonder if she's somehow managed to find a way to open the attic door and is off to pounce on the poor unsuspecting kitten whose wandered out to explore the rest of the forbidden house.

She runs back into my room and appears to be mauling something - paws flailing near her face as though she has something in her teeth. She is making a gaggy sound.  I am flinging off the covers to see what is happening.

I lean over the edge of the bed and talk to Trinket.  I can see that she is moving her head back and forth as she is silhouetted against the light carpet.  Maybe she ate something and is choking it down. She continues to make an awful gagging sound. 

"What is it, Trink?" I ask as I turn on the light, hoping that what she has is very dead and no more heinous than a cricket.

The light comes on and I look at her, and she at me. In my bleary-eyed view, I can see that she is trying to chew something. I lean in close and gasp in horror when I see what it is.

Not a cricket. Not a mouse. I can see something shiny dangling from her mouth along side her chin. 

My cat appears to be attempting to swallow a needle and thread!

No comments:

Post a Comment