Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pop Goes the Weasel

And just when I thought I could enjoy a little boredom, doesn't Fate come rattling its chains, making me think about things again.

And by "things" I do not mean J. Not at all. Things of import. Of substance. Things, as they say, that make you go "hhmmm."

In Aurora, CO, a town of little notoriety and barely a newsworthy peep from its corner of the universe, has suddenly been placed on the map, against its will and for nothing good.

It is not the hometown of the Nobel Peace Prize Winner.

It is not the site of the next Olympics.

It is not the town selected by the newly divorced Katie Holmes as the new home in which to raise uber-child, Suri.

No, sadly, it is thrust into the harsh and unforgiving limelight by a dangerously imbalanced and homicidal lunatic who calculated a plan of mass destruction and high body count by taking military-grade assault weapons into a movie theatre at a premier showing of a highly anticipated film and opening fire on its innocent patrons.

We have learned lots about the attack itself.

We have heard from lots of those lucky enough to have survived. We have heard from the heroic injured and the tragic survivors. We have listened tearfully to those who narrowly escaped and those who lost friends and family members, spouses and children, parents and love interests.

We have not heard from the attacker, who remains silent, even as baffled police officers and bomb squadders try to unravel the booby traps he set up in his home and perhaps his school to ensure further mayhem and destruction after he carried out his initial plan.

And we've heard from Facebook.

Not Facebook the company, no. Though I am sure they have their opinions.

No, scores of Facebookers all over have begun to opine about 2nd Amendment Rights and what might have been.

And some of what I read is refreshing. Some of what I read is disturbing and alarming. Some of what I read makes me think I had better rethink some of my friends.

I want to add my opinion to the fray, but I don't. I don't want to be alerted to others commenting for or against my opinion or that of another. But I'll add it here. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment