Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Another Day, Another Crisis

A day and another dose or two later, Trinket is her old self again. Racing around like a kitten. Eating like a horse. And showing her sweet appreciation for being cared for. She really is such a dear little thing. She’d wear her heart on her sleeve if she had a sleeve.

I am not feeling the love from everyone though. While in my office one day, I am looking through my email for one from Kate when I realize that I have not heard from McDuff et al since he’d sent an uninformative reply to my follow up email (the one with all of the policies I suggest they plagiarize and all the websites for stocking their toolbox. Ninnies that they are.)

So, instead of stewing in my own juices like I might normally, I forward the e-mail to everyone again, including McDuff’s overly happy reply, and introduce it with this:

Good afternoon -

I received an acknowledgment for this e-mail more than a week ago and still await a substantive reply. Please advise at your earliest convenience. I'd like to understand what if anything has been accomplished.

As usual, I include my name and mobile number. Not that anyone wants to get into a pissing contest with me about this again. At this point, I am just, as they say, “papering the file.” There is nothing that proves complacency and inaction like follow through. I intend to see this ball to the end zone.

I get a call from Pat. He’s not feeling well. He had been coughing a little here and there, but I hadn’t noticed anything to go running off to the ER over. But to be truthful, he did sound worse.

Next I got a text from Lars. He spoke to Pat. He’d like to take him to the doctor. There is something “going around” and he can get an appointment at 5:45. He knows I can leave on short notice, he’d be happy to take him and bring him back afterwards.

Great. I have meetings all afternoon. It would be tough to leave. I text back. “Great. Thanks.”

A half hour later, at 3:15, I get a call from Hil. She wants to know where Pat is. I tell her he’s not feeling well, maybe he’s asleep in his bunk. It’s way too early for him to have left for the doctor. It’s a 5 minute drive. She’ll check and call me back.

She calls me back a few minutes later. Pat was not in his bunk but she does know where he is. He is with Lars. He came back into the house to get his Social Studies project and left again. Managed to tell her where he was going as he raced out the door again.

She is mad as a hornet and so am I. For very different reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment