Monday, November 29, 2010

It's Show Time, Folks!

I have almost no patience for this kind of underconfidence. I don't necessarily care for an egomaniac, but a little swagger is way more appealing than chronic lack of self esteem.

I briefly wonder if it is his mother, Dorleen Muckler or the philandering ex-wife that is to blame for this. Or just Casey. Or all of the above.

I shake the thought out of my head. Not my problem, at least not after tonight. Unfortunately there were about 5 long hours between me and my washing my hands of the whole mess.

I managed to call Casey and speak to him without sounding like I was seething. I am not sure that I'd have described me as "well meaning" at that moment or where this date is concerned, but I could at least act like a well meaning grown up.
He sounded nervous. On his heels. (Cringing yet again.) I told him that if I'd changed my mind I would have called and cancelled.

He could barely form syllables. "OK."

Then I reiterated that I'd need a little extra time.

He offered me an additional 15 minutes lead time.

How anxious is he?

And then I tried to force happy thoughts into my head. Casey may not even like me when it gets right down to it. I may have nothing to worry about at all. This might actually be easier than I'd thought.

I got home and got ready to go. Put on my fabulous outfit. Had time to spare.

The appointed hour and then the revised appointed hour came and went. No Casey.

I checked my phone. He'd texted from the road. (Really?) Traffic. He'd be 15 minutes late.

Fifteen minutes came and went.

And 15 minutes more.

I fought the urge to simply jump in my car and leave. Casey would arrive and it would be a ghost town. This was clearly Fate telling me the date was a bad idea.

I just had no idea how bad an idea it could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment