Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Cosmo Girl

Scott is wishing me a happy Easter. No harm in that, right?  I wait until I am not careening through the county in the rain before I answer. In fact I wait until I've had a glass and half of wine before I answer.

I wish him a happy Easter back, and tell him to tell the girls and his sister and the rest of the family the same. And a special wine soaked hello to his great aunt and uncle who I always found wildly entertaining at holiday dinners that were preceded by holiday cheer.

I am banking on the communication phenomenon I discovered when Mac reared his shaven melon head a few months back. Just like then, I have my fingers crossed that Craig will be raising his hand and getting my attention the moment my head is turned for a millisecond in another man's direction.

But it doesn't happen. And Scott sends another text.

So I assist matters.

I send Craig a benign Easter greeting.

And cha-ching! Pay dirt!

Craig writes right back with a similar greeting...and then admits to not having replied to my earlier hard-to-ignore flirtation. He makes a cute comment.  And asks what I am doing for the holiday. I tell him about the invitation from my fabulous cousin and her boisterous family and watching NCAA basketball and rejoicing that Duke is getting crushed. It's a nice conversation. I am relieved.

I have no idea what I am doing. I have no idea what gets Craig's attention. Nor do I know what will hold it.

I enjoy a fabulous dinner, great company and much family story-telling. There really is nothing like family that you don't need to explain things to. No one needs the background on why no one invites my brother Joe to anything or why we try to leave town or at least get a prescription for sedatives in advance of my mother's arrival in town.

Eventually I say my goodbyes, schlep through the rain to my car with the potted tulip my cousin was kind enough to give me and make my way home. I have to stop at CVS to pick up a prescription on the way home. And while I wait I spy the latest issue of Cosmo.

One of the featured articles is entitled "The 3 Things You Probably Do That Guys Are Begging You Not To Do When You Date."

Could my answer be there on the pages of Cosmo in between advice about how to choose the perfect pink lipstick and the rules of wearing stripes?

I am willing to bank on it. I grab the mag, wait for my script and race home to find the article. Asking Cosmo might be easier than figuring out Craig's proclivities on my own. 

Provided it is a matter of proclivities and not some other matter all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment