Tuesday, May 14, 2013

One Day at a Time

The work day flies by---an act of mercy really because with my crazy former friend's outrageous behavior, I ended up getting about three minutes of sleep. And not in a row, either.

The kids call me when they arrive home from school...giddy about Spring Break and annoyed that our Internet connection seems to have gotten itself on the fritz. 

I swear the Cable Company does this on purpose from afar. It is their money-grab tactic for getting you to allow them to send a technician into your home. The minute they cross the threshold, the bill starts at $70. Even if all they end up doing is standing in front of the wire box and scratching their ass.

I tell the kids there is not a thing I am willing or able to do from another state sitting at my office desk working on my budget, but will reboot the darn thing when I get home. I have become an expert re-booter. I will not be the first to blink with the hateful cable company.

I still need details about where and when from Craig and I think for a moment that if the cable company outsmarts me and I can't jump start the WiFi, I might be incommunicado with him. I text him as much. He asks if I am free to chat. 

Of course I am. I have given up on applying reason to my budget and have taken a "throw it all in a pile" and subtract approach. Done.

He invites me to join him a night earlier. Tells me where to meet him tonight.

The whole weekend??? Wow! That's progress! 

But I must disappoint him. I still have a commitment to the kids until the following afternoon. I mention that I'd love to but can't. 

And it's probably a good thing. With my lack of sleep I have bags under my eyes I could tuck into my waist band. Pretty. I'd be lucky if Craig didn't excuse himself for the men's room and leave town. 

I leave work and go home to find that the kids have retreated to friends' houses for the afternoon. Friends presumably with functioning WiFi. I take myself to the salon to get my toes done. Spring for a mani, too. And the salon has WiFi!

I text Craig.  

He texts back. His plans have changed. 

Oh no.

Friends aren't coming. 

Oh no.

But he'd like me to come just the same. 

Oh yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment