Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Shazam!

So let's back it up for a minute.  A few weeks back, while Craig was doing his thing and I was fighting off The Lonelies, I made plans to see my friend Kate. Kate is always a blast and she had an evening free after having gone to see a movie by herself. I am not sure how she gets the Get Out of Jail Free cards when she does, but her husband and kids were on their own and she was meeting me for a drink at a bar near Charlotte's house.

And to add to the party atmosphere, I text Joy and Jill and Charlotte and my friend Rocky, inviting all of them and their spouses out to join us. We may as well bring the party with us. 

Joy is booked. Jill is out of town. Charlotte and Jack are on their way back from somewhere and may join us. Rocky and his wife are game. 

Eventually Kate and I are joined by the two couples. Rocky and Jack hit it off. Charlotte and Rocky's wife are like twins separated at birth. Kate is the usual life of the party. Charlotte knows everyone in the bar and introduces them to all of us. We eat. We drink. We drink some more. We pledge to stay in touch a little bit better with one another and all leave with new Facebook friends.

And weeks later, Rocky and I are texting regularly, catching up on all the time we'd lost as friends during the Lars years.  We'd been such good friends. We'd drifted so far apart.  Missed so many milestones.  Now we were getting to know each other again.  Learning about each other's kids and parents and wondering why we didn't rely on each other as we once had when this health issue or that marital problem arose.  Committing to staying in touch now. I want to get to know his wife. He'd like to meet and approve my next choice of men, I'd failed so miserably in choosing without him.

And I am telling Rocky about the issues with my friend the intrusive stalker and about my ups and downs with Craig and the sometimes thrilling sometimes nerve wracking experience dating at this age can be.  It is nice to have his friendship again.

And one night some days later, I ask Craig that if it is wrong of me to go on an elaborate date with Mac when in an instant I'd blow him off for a cup of coffee with Craig.

And he gives me the type of advice only a man can give you. A man with no horse in the race, a man who only has your best interests at heart. A man who roots for you and wants you to date a great guys so double dating is a possibility. He understands my dilemma and does not judge. How cool.

And while I am texting with him, and with Craig occasionally, and Scott once in a while, I realize that it is Thursday and I have not heard a peep from Mac since Tuesday.

There have been no attempts to meet me for lunch like he'd suggested.

There have been no texts. No calls.

I have no idea what we are doing on the weekend.

We are supposed to be boarding a plane - so he's said - in fewer than 48 hours and he's dropped out of sight.

So glad I hadn't run out and bought an outfit for this gig.   Mac has disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment