Monday, February 4, 2013

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign

A first date can be the beginning of something (Scott) or the end of something (Casey) or just a confusing pile of feelings and memories and road signs that seem to indicate one thing but may indicate something different or nothing at all.

It's like being in a very friendly foreign country where you can never be sure if you are getting directions to the town square or being sold a prize goat. And some people will say or do or be anything to make the sale. Buyer beware. It is kind of a buzz kill.

But since no one is going to come right out and say anything of import, or make any kind of commitments, everybody spends a lot of time looking for buying signs. Or running through a mental checklist of things we look for in a mate. Whether or not a mate is what everyone is looking for. At this age, even if there isn't a Forever After in the future, if anyone is going to make the slightest effort and give up precious moments of life investing in another person, everyone has to make some responsible decisions about the other person's worth. 

But this date, whether there is a second date or a thousand more dates or no dates, was just the thing I needed. A handsome man paying attention to me, asking meaningful questions, listening and digesting answers, flirting with me, complimenting me, making me laugh.  There is simply nothing more attractive.

When the sweetness and romance must come to an end, I am sorry to see him leave, but he'd said the magic words and asked if I'd be interested in seeing each other again.  I do my best not to show that I am practically turning a cartwheel, but make sure he knows that yes, I'd be very interested.

And then we start exchanging texts and little love notes on FB and instant messaging. I can barely take my eyes off my phone.  I could waste hours of life just looking for the little indicator light to flash.  It's insanity.

And then, as we are messaging one another. I get a message from someone else.

I am busy reading so I don't immediately see who sent it. Probably one of the girls asking for a post mortem on the date.  I can hardly wait to tell them all how fun it was.

I back up to see the list of latest messages.

Oh.

My.

Gawd.

It's from Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment