Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cause You Gotta Have Friends

So she was on to me. I had not shown my hand intentionally, but she had a near criminal mind. Used every syllable of intelligence on FB to figure things out. She's clearly watched too many episodes of CSI.

And she would call me on her keen (and borderline insane) observations.

She would note when I was on FB.  And message me directly that I was not answering her and wonder why.

She would note to me that my comments on line seemed like I was in good spirits, but I was not acknowledging her posts or commenting on her posts, so she was getting concerned.

She would email me asking if my phone was working.

She would send the same question 3 different ways increasing the chances that I'd see it somewhere. And follow up asking for answers.  She became worse than a nagging wife.

She'd make up frivolous yet seemingly gravely urgent reasons to need to correspond with me. Each correspondence a thinly veiled inquiry of some kind. Trying to find out what I was doing. Who I was talking with. With whom was I spending time? Who exactly had my attention? Why had she lost mine? If curiosity could kill that cat why was she still living to torture me?

I was not about to bite. And not biting seemed a little mean. And very unnatural.

She was electronically backing me into a corner. I had nowhere to run and nowhere to hide unless I turned off my phone, stuck it in a drawer and vanished from visibility.

I actually tried that. For a minute and a half. But FB was a lifeline to me. I was lonely. It was Winter. It's not like I was able to go sit on a crowded beach and find scads of friends in an instant. I could not let her deprive me of this. I would surely go mad.  Take up knitting. Get another cat. Doomed.

I pushed her off a little. I told her I was just lying low. Focusing a little closer to home. A little weary of all the noise and trying to find a little quiet. Assured her I was fine. Just tired.

And that worked fine.

For another minute and a half.

She began to text again.

Notes to cheer me up.

Smiley faces.

Asked if I minded a text or two once in a while to make me smile.

What was I supposed to say to that?  "No, keep your insipid little emoticons and love notes to your bunny-in-a-pot crazy self. It is YOU I am hiding from!" 

So I sent a luke warm note saying of course I didn't mind an occasional note. "Occasional" was intended to have been the most important word in the sentence. But no dice.

With my agreement more or less, she had put a wedge in the door and had set about pushing pushing pushing it ever so slowly open again.

The master of the game was she.


No comments:

Post a Comment