Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Summer of Miley

Summer is well underway and my babysitter, Miley, is working out beautifully.

She's remarkable. For five hours every day there is no TV or video games. Yay for my electric bill. She plans activities. They talk. They play board games.

My kids sleep in. I have three hours of work under my belt before they roll out of bed.

Miley shows up at 11. Plans the day ahead. Makes sure no one eats ice cream or cake batter for lunch.

They've gone on picnics.
They've gone on hikes.
They've gone to museums and out on their bikes.
They've made a karaoke music video. Built a Lego Space Shuttle. Had a water balloon fight in the yard.

Here is what's not happened:

I have not gotten a telephone call that the toilet is overflowing.

I have not gotten a text from Hil complaining that Pat is eating a whole pizza himself.

I have not received a frantic IM with video that lets me know that Trinket is on the drapery rod and will not come down.

I have not come home to find the toilet clogged, the refrigerator standing open, or anyone covered in Band aids.

Have not had to pack a lunch, sign a permission slip, deal with a moronic camp counselor, wash a Camp T-Shirt at the last minute, stuff a backpack with a towel, lunch, goggles, flip flops, sunscreen, beach towel, bathingsuit, water bottle, and a snack.

I have also not had to worry.

Yet, I barely if ever see this dear girl. She is gone at 4 pm, having logged her hours. She sends me emails at night asking questions and seeking guidance about how to handle Pat's obstinacy when it comes to participating in things he's not fond of or not experienced with, or filling me in on a tearful discussion with Hil about her friend moving to another state. She is engaged in her role as babysitter. It is remarkable. I, at the same age, would have been a huge disappointment.

And for me, to know that this marvelous, sweet, caring girl is with my kids in the lair across town as well, is quite a comfort.  A pair of eyes, not unlike my own, carefully evaluating the the kids' moods and demeanors as they navigate Lars Land. 

I think I do not pay Miley enough. I must make plans to give her a bonus. And already, I am sad that the Summer of Miley is half over. The end of the season is near. Fall is looking at us impatiently. But it isn't about what's waiting on the other side. It's the climb. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment