Thursday, July 26, 2012

Grow the Roses of Success

Sandy is howling at my Sheila stories, epecially when I mimic her. And my retelling of words I've exchanged with Endorra. It is as though I said them for us both.

I tell her about having nearly literally run into Endorra at the store while buying my waffle iron and her bizarre behavior. She asks if I'd seen anyone else. I tell her it crossed my mind that I might bump into J. buying Boys 8-12 pants, or Sheila buying Big Girl pants to accommodate her ever-expanding epic behind, but never ran into anyone other than Endorra, who acted like she was on an outing from the group home.

It is nice to be able to talk to someone about these experiences. Sandy is still amazed at the toxicity and the self-righteousness.

And then she cries out unexpectedly. "Ooohhh! I almost forgot to tell you!"

I am enthralled. Barely breathing.

"They actually had the nerve to call me about paying for J.'s funeral!"

An idiot says what?

"Shut the front door!" I say brightly. "You did tell them to go fly a kite, didn't you?"

"Well not right away," she admits. "They caught me so off guard. I told them I would think about it."

"I hope you haven't given it too much thought, " I say. "What basis could they possibly have for even thinking about approaching you?"

"Well, probably mostly becasue they know I have the means...but they said it is because I am Abby and Moira's mother. Technically, I'd be paying their share."

Their share? Who did the math on that?

"My next call is to them. I intend to tell them that I respectfully decline. I was their mother all along when they were laying down the rules. Maybe they should have given that a little thought before now."

Seriously. They should thought about a lot of things well before we reached the point of no return. All I can say is, "You go, girl. I'll let you know if I get a call." Desperate people do desperate things.

Before we get off the phone we talk about having the drink we talked about having a year ago. We discuss logistics. We commit to finding time. She laughs that she is dying to meet the woman who was smart enough not to marry J. Such a long distance we've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment