Monday, August 22, 2011

So Long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, I Do?

That Friday after six-and-a-half days of glorious remote and unplugged relaxation, we pack up our memories and head for home.

We’ve shopped (obviously), we’ve visited and left pennies and blown bubbles in the magical Fairy Garden, we’ve stuffed our faces with ice cream sundaes and French pastry, we’ve run amok in and amusement park and water park, we’ve napped in hammocks, assembled puzzles, played board games, canoed, hiked, beached and walked all about the place pointing to darling cottages with twinkling lights and saying “That’s the one I’d buy.” We’ve all enjoyed ourselves immensely, including Miss Kitty who could not take her big golden eyes off of the smorgasbord of birdies and bugs just outside Charlotte and Jack’s windows.

I am always blue on the way home. I’ve enjoyed vacation for obvious reasons but further, the uninterrupted time with Hil and Pat is so enjoyable and passes too quickly. The fact that my time with them is half of what it should be strikes a tender spot deep in my heart. I always feel like I am failing them by having to return them to the lair of the beast. Their lightness weighed down with worry and concern.

Soon enough we are in front of our house. The kids are happy to be home, not so happy to have to unpack. Trinket is having trouble adjusting and is retreating to the rafters of the basement again. And I am a wreck knowing that Lars will be beeping from the curb all too soon, summoning the children to get in his car and leave the week and me behind. And the children will go all Patty Hearst-Stockholm Syndrome and comply.

My one consolation is that upon their departure, I can fill the kitty litter, freshen the water and food bowls, and get on the road to Scott’s. We have a whole weekend together ahead and it will give me some comfort to have reasons to smile and laugh and be hopeful.

Not long into the weekend, I call the kids. Hil’s phone is dead (against type) and Pat’s is not with him. (Who are these children who let their phones out of their sight?) It is evidently at home with Hil while he is out with Lars. I call Lars since no one is answering. He lets Pat answer. (WTF?)

I chat with Pat and then ask him to text Hil to have her call me. I want to see how she’s doing, and I am shopping with Scott and his girls and have come across a great sale. I think I can take a stab at her new style but not her sizes. I need her help.

Two minutes later my phone rings and I see that it is not Hil but Lars.

I answer thinking it is really Pat. (Again, WTF?)

But it is Lars. The man who does everything via email has called. Must have butt dialed. But no. He meant to call me.

“Umm, yea, hi. I just wanted to let you know. I got engaged this weekend.”


No comments:

Post a Comment