Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's New Pussycat?

But in my heart and soul I have to give this a heartfelt investment. If I anticipate trouble, surely there will be some. I have to assume Patrick is not allergic, that the episode at his friend’s house was more about the mangey cats themselves and the general lack of housekeeping than allergies, and that if necessary, Patrick can resist the urge to bury his adorable face in her fur and wash his hands regularly.

We are off to Scott’s early on Saturday.

We talk about the cat all the way there – every inch of 90 miles is about what to do, what not to do, what the cat might be feeling, what the girls and Scott might be feeling. I am sure I am sucking the joy right out of this whole affair.

We arrive and are greeted first by the dogs.
And the girls.
And Scott.

And then we are introduced to Trinket.

She is more aloof than I recall. She does none of the nosing around for my hand that she did in the pound. Fickle little thing. She has grown quite fond of the girls and will come to them if they call. Other than that she could not care less that we’ve arrived. I am a little concerned that I’ve made a mistake. In her mind, she’s already been adopted. But by the Bowersox family, not mine. In her mind, her mission is accomplished.

Her mind? Her mind is the approximate size of a chickpea. I relax and tell myself that we just have to get her home – home to my house of many climbable surfaces and lots of valuable artifacts to knock from mantles and book shelves. What cat wouldn’t love it?

My kids have had no idea what to expect except, don’t expect her to greet you like a dog does. They are not bothered by the aloofness.

Snoopy and Charlie are still the crowd favorites, and the kids are easily distracted by the trampoline and the X-Box and the rides on Scott’s boat.

But Sunday comes soon enough and by mid-morning, in time for me to get back to my Invisalign appointment, we have packed the enormous crate and the kitty with it into my car and are headed for home.

Being serenaded all the while by Miss Meowypants who may just miss her other family.

No comments:

Post a Comment