Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cat Scratch Fever

The cat room is much quieter. But somewhat creepy. The dogs at least jumped up and down to get your attention. The cats were aloof. Hard to believe they wanted to be adopted. Maybe they didn't. A place to sleep and some pretty decent food. Why not stay?

There are cages on top of cages holding some of the biggest domestic cats I've ever seen. Twelve pounders. One with two pads and 6 toes on each foot that I swear could swim. A dead ringer for Snickers (Has she been missing? I'd never noticed!)

And then at the end, by the window, a cage full of kittens not old enough to adopt yet. All in a pile. Each a different color. Cute as can be. I am looking at them trying to decide which is the very cutest when I feel a warm little head pushing up against the palm of my hand.

I look down to find a tiny gray and white kitten there. And it is trying its darndest to get my attention.

"Hello, lovey," I say to him or her.

An earthy, crunchy shelter worker is right on me.

"This is Boo Boo. A new stray. She's about 4 years old."

"And she's really skinny and malnourished," I say to myself. Poor thing.

"She's had her shots, and has been fixed, and she's been micro-chipped."

"How very X-files," I think to myself.

She is rubbing up against every part of me that she can reach while she walks around on the thing that cats climb on for fun. She has chosen the level that sits by an open window which leads to a fenced in play area by the parking lot with some fun kitty toys. She'll turn and walk away but keeps coming back to get me to touch her.

Scott says, "Liza's getting a kitty...."

But I refuse to pick her up. I know me best of all. If I hold her, I am sold. And I am not sure I want to be sold.

I stiffen my back, say goodbye to Boo Boo and tell Scott we should leave.

We go through the maze of halls and the multiple doors and out to the parking lot. As we walk to the car I realize we are walking past the fenced in kitty play area.

And just who do you think has ventured out to the edge of the area to see me as I walk by?

No comments:

Post a Comment