Friday, June 17, 2011

And the Cat's in the Cradle

I am truly touched by this teeny weeny cat's big gesture.

I don't know what to do.

I would love a cat. I have a cat lifestyle. They don't require loads of attention, use a toilet, are fastidiously neat, don't eat everything in sight in one sitting, can be left alone for days, and generally don't devour your clothes, shoes, furniture and the mailman just for fun.

But we think Patrick might be allergic to cats. He's okay around Snickers and Charlotte's adopted kitty, Ziggy, but got blown up and gooey one night at a sleepover where the kid had two cats (but I have no idea what kind of housekeeping rituals the mother kept...so who knows?)

When the girls are out of earshot, I think out loud to Scott. I really don't know what to do. I think I’d like having a cat. I’ve thought of it before. Seriously thought of it before.

Mostly since Lars is highly, anaphylactically, allergic, and it would be fun to send the kids back to him smothered in dander. And because it would feel nice to do one more thing I was not allowed to do in my marriage. And I really like the idea of a cat.

He is a big fan of pet ownership, obviously. He thinks it would be great for me. I am alone a lot. A cat could be great company. Something tiny to love might be good for me.

But I am unsure. What if I don’t love having a pet? What if the cat isn’t fond of living in my house and pees all over it? What if Patrick blows up like a puffer fish? Hil would be crushed if we couldn’t keep her and would probably murder Patrick in his sleep.

Scott has a plan. Think about it for a day or so. He’ll call and ask them to put a hold on Boo Boo. And if it is meant to be, she’ll be there. If Patrick turns out to be gravely allergic, he'll take her to his house. Our cat, his house.

I agree, and begin to mentally gear up for another tenant in my home.

But it isn’t that easy.

Scott calls and they won’t “hold” her.

They have very limited hours and he can’t get there.

There is one day that they are open late each week but it has already passed. Boo Boo will be gone by the next one.

He’d send his daughter with the cash to get her after school but she is only 17 and you have to be 18 to adopt.

It is looking like it is not meant to be.

But then a miracle happens.

Scott works outside – and some of the work he does is only done when the weather permits. And the very next day, it did not permit.

So shortly after their doors opened, Scott appeared at the shelter and adopted Boo Boo, and told her on the way home that her new mommy had renamed her Trinket.

No comments:

Post a Comment