Monday, January 6, 2014

*Sigh*

And he did. Well, not there in the bar or anything. Later. Once we'd all closed the bar, gone back to the pool deck, ordered pizza, gotten more beer and laughed our heads off.

And all that time, he is as attentive and adorable as I'd hoped. Holds my hand. Demonstrates exceptional manners, with me and my girlfriends. Tells a few good stories. Contributes to the group dynamic. Leans in an whispers in my ear when he has something to say just to me.

He and I peel off and take a walk. First to find a Wawa with a Snapple Iced Tea that we are both craving after 47 drinks. We talk a lot. He is 2 years younger than me. He is divorced and has 2 kids. They are a few years younger than mine, a boy and a girl. He asks as many questions as I do. Gathering up the intel. Meaningful stuff. Stupid stuff. Are your parents still alive? Still married? How many sibs do you have? Where are you in the pecking order? What's your middle name? Where did you go to school? Baseball or football? Candy or flowers? Little stuff that tells you what makes the person who they are.

eHarmony should be smart enough to know that this is the stuff compatibility is made of. Not entirely. There are the big rocks in the bucket that are absolute deal breakers, but these are the pebbles and sand that make the bucket full.

Snapples in hand, we sip and walk to the beach.

It would be wildly romantic with the nearly full moon but there is a breeze coming off of the ocean and I am freezing to the point of chattering. Which obviously interferes with my ability to speak. Like the ever-so-slight slur didn't already...And surely anything that impedes one's speech is going to interfere with kissing. I have the worst luck.

John offers me his coat. No, he doesn't offer it. He takes it off and helps me put it on.

It is one of those gestures that a man makes that I find absolutely irresistible. I have no idea why.

Warmer now, we walk along holding hands. I am chattering less so we continue to talk. We avoid the "why did you get divorced" taboo subject but dive into the custody arrangement and questions about how amicable we all are. I try to sound positive instead of bitter and toxic toward Lars. Although John can probably hear my lip curling up in disgust in the dark.

John is becoming more and more attractive as we walk and talk. He's smart. He's interesting. He's amusing. He contributes to the discussion without me making all the leading statements. He's dressed nicely...somehow pulling off the casual look without looking like a dork or a prep or a member of a bowling team. I like his shoes (which he's carrying in his other hand, the one not holding mine) And is in great shape. He's not really tall, but tall enough. And he has beautiful eyes and a pretty smile. His hands are nice. And he has a great voice. Reminds me of George Clooney, which always gets my vote. It is such a nice voice, I am torn between wanting him to keep talking to me and wanting him to stop talking and kiss me already.

And soon enough he does.

As we approach the block where my hotel is there is a huge blustery gust of wind. It kicks up sand and beach debris and stings our legs sends us running. We duck behind the lifeguard stand. And there, in the shadow of the wooden structure that he's pulled me behind to put protective arms around me, he lifts my chin and kisses me.

And there is that struck by lightening thing I love so much.

So much so that we decide to walk a few more blocks on the beach before he walks me to my hotel room door and gives me one last kiss.

I go inside and try not to disturb my roommates as I get ready for bed.

My phone dings as I close the bathroom door so I don't have to get dressed in the dark.

A text from John.

You really are adorable. Goodnight."




No comments:

Post a Comment