Monday, January 20, 2014

Another Round

John says he snuck off to Wawa right off the Drunk Bus. Ditched the other guys and just bolted. But bolting in this town at this hour is a dicey proposition. He apologizes for taking so long to Mighty Mouse to our rescue. He's brought me a Snapple.  The gesture charms me.

Joy and Jill finish a cigarette and head to bed. John and I squeeze onto a lounge chair.I am feeling quite cozy.

We launch into stories about our respective nights. Mine is exponentially more fun. He is so apologetic about having followed the crowd and going to a bar where there was something troubling at every turn. Capped by a girl who did a hand stand on a bar against a wall and twerked. He's sure there will be YouTubes. He is horrified. Alarmed. It is sort of a cute reaction. He says they should have played their hand differently and come with us. "You ladies are..." He hesitates, trying to find words that make sense. If he says "mature" I might hurl him into the pool.

Afraid of what he's going to say, I offer a few words from my eHarmony profile and say, "Fun but not idiots?"

He enthusiastically agrees. He seems at first like he might want to elaborate on the thought but thankfully does not.  It's not exactly news. Just news to him! But before either of us has time to change the subject, he looks at me like he wants to kiss me. We are on a deserted pool deck. It seems like a good idea. Until, mid-smooch, we hear familiar voices.

"That's Jill," I say.

"And that's Chris," he says.

We pop the lounge down and turn to face them. "Hello, over there!"

Jill says, laughing, that they have beer and for us to come over. I need a beer like a frontal lobotomy but we join them. They are smoking again. Joy eventually joins us. It's like we've found another after-party. They had been sitting on our room patio but had gotten shooshed by our neighbors. I wouldn't be surprised if the random stranger returned. It's baffling.

Actually I am baffled by a lot.

I like John. He seems to like me. He showed up tonight eventually, but after last call. Am I his last call or am I thinking too much?

Where did the beer come from? Who has the secret stash? Is there a Beer Fairy?

I am still baffled about how Chris got here. John had peeled off from the crowd and gone off on his own mission without a word to his friends. Chris wound up at our hotel. Why? What was HIS mission?

I curl up on John's lap as we all talk. Eventually I am so tired I rest my head on his chest. It feels nice. I like the way his voice sounds. He starts to whisper because he thinks I am falling asleep.

I am not but I really want to. But it's Girls Weekend, and I don't want to miss a moment (Penny and Yvette have no such hangup). Are you a party pooper if you stay up to 3:30 am but miss the
last few highlights?

Before I fall into a dead sleep, morning breath and all, I whisper to John that I need to turn in and ask him to walk me home the long way. He helps me to my feet and picked up my shoes in one hand while taking my hand in the other. We walk to the beach, around to the next block and eventually to the hotel and to my door.

He kisses me goodnight. And then once more. He asks what my plans are for heading home. I tell him a few of us are staying until Monday. He says, "Nice that you could get the day off." I cringe. Hopefully not visibly.  He assumes I am working. I will hate admitting to the contrary.

I change the subject and tell him to come find us at the pool after breakfast. He assures me he will. Turns to leave but Tells me again that I am delightful.

Delightful. And a little bit baffled.




No comments:

Post a Comment