Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Wedding Bell Blues

And sometimes this nagged at me. Mostly because when he had been chatting up the Drill Team bimbo, she had mentioned my presence on his timeline, called him out on it and told him to buzz off.

Lesson learned.

And one time, his daughter tagged him in a post and as usual, he ignored it. We were all sitting on his sofa together with a pile of dogs and she called him on it. And I jumped on the band wagon. We ganged up on him. Told him he was dog himself for ignoring us on Facebook.  Accused him of wanting to appear single and childless. 

He had argued back, however lamely that he only had a Facebook account to keep an eye on Abby and her sister and their cyber images. And to me, he said what he always said. That he had gone on Facebook and searched for me, and now that we'd formed the relationship we had, he had no reason to go onto Facebook anymore.

And I believed him. Because I wanted to.

And that article that advised to keep your relationship off of Facebook rings in my head now.  If not for Facebook, no one would be the wiser about any of this. Including me. you can carefully craft an image on Facebook that gets you exactly what you want. And it is easier and cheaper than a personal ad.

But the one big thing I forgave and should have paid more attention to had absolutely nothing to do with Facebook.  It was a big, glowing, flair in the night sky that I never really acknowledged and should have made a Federal Case out of.   It was the most clear indication of Scott's feelings about our relationship in the months before he went Over the Wall.  I should have paid attention. I should have made a Big Fucking Stink about it. I should have packed my bags and made myself scarce, at least for a while. I should have sent up a few flairs of my own.  I should have ripped a few choice pages from Estelle's book about how to indicate that something has sent you over the edge of reason.

In the Summer, perhaps two months before Super Storm Sandy and the havoc it caused on the East Coast and the seemingly cosmic whammy it put on my personal life, we had been invited to a wedding. The wedding of the daughter of a close friend from High School who we both know very well. The wedding itself had taken place St. John, but our friends were throwing a big reception at their home a few weeks later. We'd Saved The Date for months.

My outfit was carefully planned. I had tried at least 10 hair dos. I had the perfect clutch purse. My jewelry was exquisite. I had a big date with my handsome boyfriend that was going to be lots and lots of fun and I looked fabulous.

Only it didn't turn out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment