Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What to Expect When You're Expecting

As I drive to PetSmart, I consult my two-cat-owners for advice.  I already have to ensure that the cats remain separated, since we have the threat of rabies in the air.  I am told they need separate food and separate kitty litters, and separate toys and need to be supervised until Little Kitty is at least 14 weeks old just because of her size. Trinket could inadvertently hurt her. And she is likely to want to hurt her on purpose, too.

My friend James says he put Plexiglas across a doorway and secured it with Velcro to let the cats see and smell each other without any safety concerns. This seems extreme. How bad is it going to be?

One charitable donation and $97.00 later, as I am leaving the store with a cart full of kitten friendly things and a few new distractions for Trinket, I ask the clerk if she knows anything about cats. She looks like a rare book collector, so it comes as no surprise that her self proclaimed specialties are cats and rare birds. Of course they are.

She tells me that I need to supervise their visits very closely.  Check every website I can find about cat behavior. Introducing the cats may prove challenging.  Cats are solo hunters. Dogs travel in packs so it is easy for Scott to bring home dog after dog. Trinket is going to want to run off the intruder. This is her mousing territory.  The little fur ball can go somewhere else to hunt. Or be eaten if she won't go away willingly.  he will be jealous of any affection shown to the new kid.

And her jealousy may take the form of peeing all over my house. Can't wait.

I am so not prepared for this. 

I decide I need a little time.  Thursday night I have a meeting for an organization that has invited me to sit on their advisory board.  It is nearer to Scott's house than mine and will last until about 8 pm. 

I call Lars. can the children come to his house on Thursday and star their week early with him. I have a late meeting and will miss dinner, and that would not be fair to them.  He agrees.

On Thursday after my meeting, I will head to Scott's with my $97.00 worth of kitty crap to meet the kitty and figure out what the hell I need to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment