Thursday, April 12, 2012

Who is Interviewing Whom, Part Deux

I send the lovely Miley on her way to Lars. I call him to give him an ETA, so he can put a stop to whatever embarrassing behavior he's engaged in within her travel time.

I tell him I really liked her, and that I think the kids will too. I run down a list of her most favorable features. He is skeptical as usual. My endorsement of anything is usually the kiss of death. Usually without competent, logical argument. It is just wrong because it has to be. If the plot was hatched in my head it is doomed. If I stand behind an idea it is certain to fail. If I creatively resolve a problem, the solution has no merit. It is Lars' way of winning, even if it is not actually winning, but just obstinacy instead. Miley has "doom" tattooed across her lovely face, I am sure of it. I found a really great thing and as usual, Lars is going to piss all over it. (Sorry for the graphic.)

I busy myself as I always do when the kids and I are apart. I wait for Lars call asking "What else have you got to show me?" as if this were all my responsibility because I am the one with the loony plans and if I want them to come to fruition then I am going to have to pull all the oars or he'll just do what he wants, with no regard for the children or anything or anyone else. What suits him will have to be what suits us all.

I could kill him for moments like this.

But when he calls, he is flabbergasted he is so delighted. Completely shocked and awed that anything I have done could be so perfect. Actually, he's so impressed with Miley, it's a little weird. He thinks it's kismet that she goes to school where he went to high school, and her father lives where he spent the other part of his misguided youth. She lives a mere blocks from his house and so resembles Hil that they could be mistaken for sisters. He is almost creepy the way he gushes about her. I am almost more afraid now that she'll say "NFW" than he will.

Just shoot me, please.

I ask if the kids were as taken with her as he seems to be. Whether they were or they were not, he says they were. Natch.

She sends us both an email letting us know how much she enjoyed meeting everyone and that pending the outcome of her interview later that week ( a prior commitment) she'd love to sit for the kids.

I pour a Chardonnay and pray to Saint Rita, the patron saint of the twin patronages, parenthood and desperate causes, for a favorable outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment