Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Drove All Niiiiiggggghhhhtttt...

Turns out Mom was right about the storm.

A nasty nor’easter that dumped more than a foot of freezing, swirling, icy snow everywhere you looked where I live.

And even in the state where Scott lives. And I know this because while we were driving home from Jack’s relatives’ house, having spent the evening dodging Jane, cheating at poker, raking certain NFL commentators over the coals, laughing at horrific bad dates, and swearing on a stack of Bibles that we’d see each other between now and the next holiday, I sent a text to Scott telling him that I wished the holiday were ending the way it had begun. With him.

And then a volley of texts later, and an outfit change and a little zshzshing later, I started a long trek over a river and into the woods in a neighboring state.

At this point, Cyndi Lauper’s wailing rendition of “I Drove All Night” would make an appropriate sound track.

I drove what seemed like all night to Scott’s house – which seemed like Green Acres. Remote – woodsy – and occupied by Scott, his two daughters, 3 dogs, a rabbit and a cat. I looked around for signs of a snake, a fish and a bird in a cage.

The dogs were quite the welcoming committee. Scrambling all over one another to greet me on the door step. Each one adorable and wagging and whimpering (and in some cases, peeing) more than the next. Kitty glanced over and ignored the commotion.

I’d meet the girls in the morning.

How was THAT going to be?

By contrast, J. and I had played things so much more cautiously.

Concealed the relationship for months (until Lars spilled the beans in order to inaccurately suggest to our children that I’d been cheating on him…such a responsible Dad!)

We’d met each other’s children only after deciding we were truly a long term thing. Ten months into the deal.

We introduced them to each other only after the year anniversary and the first Christmas dictated by custody agreements.

In retrospect, it was probably a better idea on paper than in practice. How was any child supposed to feel free to dislike or ignore or generally misbehave in front of the new partner when his parent had presented the person as a de facto shoe-in winner? The votes had been counted. Too bad if you think he or she is all wrong for the job!

If I had it all to do over again…Oh right! I do!

Scott was proving to be a way cooler customer. To his mind, we were solid enough to safely bet on spending a good bit of time together getting to know one another (again). Why not let the kids in on the big secret?

OK – truth be told, Scott was married once more since divorcing his kids’ mother. His girls had probably witnessed a few more dates than my kids had as their parents’ marriage faded from view in the rear view mirror of their lives.

My kids had known J. – and only J. - for a long time.

But they’d met Casey and had been crazy about the idea of my prospective opportunity for romance (anyone but J.!) - at least until any notion of romance withered and turned to dust in the noxious plume of gas that was Casey’s breath.

Alrighty then – in the morning, I’d zshzsh a little more and say a brave “Hello” to the girls over coffee.

I am sure I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment