Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ball Game!

Take me out to the crowd!

Literally.

Casey and I leave the restaurant and walk up the street in the general direction of several local pubs. I am hoping to be surrounded by lots of people to avoid the alone part of the date.

We get to the first one. We can see through the window that there is a nice crowd and all the TVs are set to the game. It looks pretty inviting to be honest.

But this pub is one I never go to. I don't know anyone who goes there. It is not my haunt.

I make an excuse. "Let's not go in there. It smells." I had smelling on the brain.

Casey says, "It shouldn't. You can't smoke in any of these places anymore."

"Oh it's not the smoke, it's the food. You never leave there not smelling like mozzarella sticks."

I stear him up the street and across the road to MY haunt. On a game night, I will surely know the bartender and at least half the crowd. This will tip the date in a new direction.

We walk in and I know absolutely no one. Not a bartender. Not a patron. Not even the owner is there tonight. He's AT the game. I am doomed.

I tell Casey what I'll be drinking and head to the ladies room. I need moral support.

Once inside the stall, I consider my options. I could call Charlotte, but she would probably put on her superhero cape and come swooping in to send Casey packing. And whimpering. I really should handle this myself. It is good practice for getting rid of future bad dates.

I text my friend from work. She'll know what to do. "You will NOT BE-LIEVE how awful my date is." No reply.

I am utterly on my own.

I exit the ladies room without even putting on more lipstick. Maybe if I look a little more like a washed out hag I'll have better luck chasing Casey away.

No comments:

Post a Comment