Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Everybody Run! The Homecoming Queen Has A Gun!

There were reasonable arguments on both the Hatfields and the McCoys sides of fence. And there were statements posted by utter boobs.

There was one guy who posted this ridiculous post about the difference between a large clip and some other stupid feature of a gun that he needed to hunt wild sows.  It was so preposterous I thought it was a tongue-in-cheek joke.  Hyperbole intended to suggest agreement with Christopher's position.

And Christopher posted something arguing with it like it was serious, and for a moment I was a little mortified for him, being so caught up in the argument that he didn't realize someone was joking.

And then came the Wild Sow Hunter's argument in reply and I realized that the original comment was not a hyperbolic comic response but an actual argument. I nearly choked.

The stupid subtleties in gun features that the 2nd Amendment Rights Zealots argue would be an infringement to be stripped of the right to own and carry are so completely insane that I wonder if there is some kind of mind control brainwashing that goes on in the gun shops across America.

Christopher wonders online about what is so difficult about distinguishing between an assault rifle and one that is for sport. 

I suggest that it is a matter of interest. We quite handily distinguish between what is a passenger vehicle and what is a commercial vehicle. What you need a Drivers License to drive and what you need a commercial license to drive. No one gets into a big heated argument about needing to haul wild sows in their minivan.

I also suggest that there are cars defined for the road and cars deemed suitable only for the racetrack. Engine power. Certain simple design features. No one argues that they should be allowed to drive their drag strip car on that Autobahn.

But when we try to compromise on "the right to bear arms" the Right-to-Bear-Armists get all apoplectic when you suggest that the Uzi should not be toted around the mall in one's purse.

The argument made me completely incensed.

So I posted one final comment.

"Before I never look at this post for the rest of my life, I would just like to assert that my child's right to safely go to the school/the movies/the mall trumps your right to shoot at a wild sow or any other target without the inconvenience of having to reload."

And then I messaged Christopher privately.

"I think you should bring up a totally benign topic next. Like Joe Paterno or assisted suicide. Maybe abortion."

And he messaged me back.

"I like the way you think."

Someone has to.

No comments:

Post a Comment