Monday, December 17, 2012

Take Note

In the meantime, my friends and sister continue to check in. 

Charlotte tells me that she talked with Mom.  And that in the interest of avoiding some painful fireside Christmas Eve retelling of the story on my part, she has shared the whole heinous, humiliating story about me and Scott.  She tells me Mom cried and said that she loves me. Maybe something in her icy heart will soften and there will be some silver lining in this uniquely horrifying life event.  Still I am not thrilled with the trade off. Mom is hardly a substitute for what I've lost.

I continue to send up smoke signals on Facebook about my heartbreak.  One day I commit to "getting my girl on" and channeling my inner Pink  and post a video of Blow Me (One Last Kiss).  On another day I post a John Wayne quote about courage being that you're scared to death but saddle up anyway.  My friend Christopher messages me on Facebook.  A good guy. I don't know him that well but he's loads of fun. A crazy man.  And very, very nice.

"Everything okay with you, Liza?"

Very perceptive. And nice to ask. Where were all these nice guys when we were all in college together?

I message back.

Well, no, now that you've asked. The man I've shared my life with for 2 years flaked after the storm and left my life.  No break up. No explanation. No fight. Poof. Gone.  I am heartbroken, to be honest, but even more baffled about what happened. So I am having a hard time springboarding out of my misery.  Thank you for asking.  Sorry about the tale of woe."

He is on it in a minute. But not the usual words of encouragement.  No prayers for me. No there, there, time heals all wounds. No this too shall pass. 

"You know what that means?  A road trip!  Let's get the band back together! Can you do that?"

I tell him I can. As I will have loads of time for such things.  He thinks he's offended me and apologizes for making light of the situation. As if it could be done. I tell him I need something to look forward to...let's plan something.

He asks about my availability. I tell him about my f*cktard custody arrangement.

"On it!" he writes. "More to follow!" 

And I find that against all odds, I am smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment